William McHarg


William McKenzie McHarg (1846–1912) was a warehouseman specialising in grainstore-keeping. He was one of four sons, who in 1890, all followed their father’s trade as grainstore-keepers and warehousemen at canalside Port Dundas, and riverside Lancefield and Springfield Quays. McHarg and his wife were childless, but Mrs McHarg's nephew, John Allan (originally Alexander) Stewart (b. 1877), lived with them. From around 1893, William McKenzie McHarg occupied business premises at 104 Cheapside Street, expanding to 112 when Stewart became a partner in around 1903. They advertised as 'grain and general storekeepers Class 'A' Store' in 1910. William's elder brother, Samuel McHarg (1844–1916), had his own grain warehouses at 120 Cheapside Street, and his son and successor branched into contracting in the 1920s. 1


1: Birth, death and census information, www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk [accessed 5 and 23 October 2012]; probate information, www.ancestry.co.uk [accessed 4 October 2012]; Glasgow Post Office directories, 1890–1925; Glasgow Post Office Directory, 1910–11, p. 424.